Truck engine won't turn over

General truck repair questions and answers.
tspoon
Silverado block heater install

Post by tspoon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:09 pm

I HAVE A 97 SILVERADO WITH 5.0 V8. IS THERE A THREADED PLUG THAT I CAN REMOVE TO INSTALL A BLOCK HEATER INSTEAD OF USING THE FREEZE PLUG TYPE OF HEATER?

Terry

Re: Silverado block heater install

Post by Terry » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:07 pm

Most all block heaters for your Silverado are the kind that are for the freeze plug. There are one or two kinds that screw into a large hex plug on the back side of the drivers side cylinder head. You would have to get a mirror to see if your engine has that, some years did. Do a search at a parts store online for your specific year and engine size to see if one is available.

Cmdrrayne

Throttle body convert to 4 barrel

Post by Cmdrrayne » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:12 am

I have an 89 Chevy Silverado K2500 and was curious if I converted the throttle body to a 4 barrel as opposed to the 2 barrel it has now. Would the stock ECU be able to manage the extra two injectors in any way, or do I have to get a new ECU with the throttle body upgrade?

butch

Re: Throttle body convert to 4 barrel

Post by butch » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:42 pm

Not sure why you would want to do that. The throttle body cannot be changed. The electrical connectors are different, fuel feed pipe, cables, etc. The computer cannot be programmed for a different throttle. That said, with enough money i suppose you can do anything. You may want to try a high performance forum or modified truck forum.

Brian

Truck engine won't turn over

Post by Brian » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:04 am

my truck froze over night it started once then died now wont turn over and when I turned the key to try to start it sounds like a grinding noise.

Terry

Re: Truck engine won't turn over

Post by Terry » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:34 pm

The grinding noise is most probably a bad starter on your truck. This would cause the engine to stall though, just not start. If you mean that is got really cold overnight, and now it won't crank over and makes this noise, then you just have a bad starter.

If by saying it "Froze" you mean the engine just shut down when driving, check the engine oil level. Maybe you ran low and burned up the engine.

Sam

Re: Truck engine won't turn over

Post by Sam » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:10 pm

Must likely do need a starter but besides that sounds like you also may need a new air temp sensor.

grandsport67

s10 no start

Post by grandsport67 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:54 pm

1995 s10 Chevy 4.3 vortec fuel is 65 psi.Checked the Timing,replaced coil,icm,crank sensor,distributor,cap and rotor.still will not start. (No Spark)

Terry

Re: s10 no start

Post by Terry » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:05 am

If your Chevy has no spark and you are guessing by replacing all of these parts, you need to stop guessing. Get a scanner and look at engine data. If it shows engine RPM while cranking but you do not have spark, and all of these ignition system components have been replaced, then i would suspect either you have a wiring problem or the PCM is bad.

There is a main engine harness that goes over the top of the brake booster. I have seen several broken wires inside that harness. Also, check all engine wiring grounds and look at the connection on the PCM to see if they are full of green corrosion.