dodge dakota key won't turn

General truck repair questions and answers.
sativahoag
loud clunking by tire

Post by sativahoag » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:43 pm

1990 Dodge dakota. Front passenger side tire. It makes a loud clunking when in motion, either forward or backward. Sometimes it will lock up and the only way to get moving again is to change direction of motion. (1st gear to R or vice versa) I was told it was a cv axle, but then told that it is rear wheel drive and my truck does not have a cv axle. ?????? What is it and what do I replace? Am I in danger of losing a tire, or control of my vehicle while driving?

butch

Re: loud clunking by tire

Post by butch » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:53 pm

Yes, you can loose control of your truck with this problem. If the truck is 4 WD, then it does have a front CV joint. If that is the case, then that is most likely the problem. Or possibly even a problem inside the front deferential.

You could also have a bad hub bearing or even a broken brake caliper bolt. It one of those is broken, the caliper will clunk with the rotation of the wheel and stop when hitting the brake pedal.

felicia

dodge dakota key won't turn

Post by felicia » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:28 am

my key wont turn in my 2006 dodge Dakota its like the key is locked what do I do?

butch

Re: dodge dakota key won't turn

Post by butch » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:00 pm

The common problem with that Dodge is the ignition cylinder is faulty and needs to be replaced. You can try to spray some WD-40 in the ignition to see if you can free it up for the time being.

Another possibility is a worn out key. Try it on another lock and see if it works, or get a new key cut and try it in the ignition.

carsandstuff101

Somethings wrong with the Durango ):

Post by carsandstuff101 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:18 pm

Hi, I own a 2001 Dodge Durango. Ive been having a problem with it lately. The rear tires will just skid at times and if I try and make a big turn, or a u-turn, the truck will just stall out ): ty for the help.

karlk

Re: Somethings wrong with the Durango ):

Post by karlk » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:45 pm

Sounds like the rear end is locking up on your Dodge Durango. You need to have a mechanic drive it to confirm this, If this is the case, the rear end will have to come apart to find out why iit is binding up. May need a total overhaul.