honda power steering noise when cold

General car repair questions and answers.
douglas
honda power steering noise when cold

Post by douglas » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:52 pm

2006 Honda Accord 6 cyl with 32k miles. Power steering makes noise when cold similar to low fluid noise but goes away when car warms up. Hasn't happened since last winter, and only a few times then. No leaks, fluid full and runs great in warm weather. Please help with dilemma.

Terry

Re: honda power steering noise when cold

Post by Terry » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:52 pm

Your Honda may have a bad power steering pump. You could try to do a fluid flush and then bleed the system or add an additive to the system to see if that helps.

douglas

Post by douglas » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:10 am

Finally found a mechanic to fix the problem. Honda SB 07-086 stated the O-ring on the hose fails as it is too hard. Just replace the O-ring and the problem is solved. Honda parts stated this is a very common problem and they sell a lot of failed O-rings in the winter in Houston. All this time, effort, expense and over 50 different expensive recommended fixes over a $7.00 part only the parts counter man knew about. What a world!

jpa

Steering column releases when pressure applied

Post by jpa » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:29 pm

The steering column on my 1979 Ford Torino releases when pressure is applied without engaging the release lever. This happens when I am getting in/out and using the steering wheel as a support. Can I repair this without replacing the entire column?

karlk

Re: Steering column releases when pressure applied

Post by karlk » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:28 pm

Yes, you can have the steering column repaired on your Ford without replacing the entire steering column.

The tilt mechanism is worn out. You will first have to find the parts. Which will be difficult on such an old truck. Then you need special steering column tools to get to it and replace it. If you have no experience doing this, i would suggest taking it to a mechanic. It is not an easy job.

Xander

Post by Xander » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:55 am

Not bad at all with the cost you have mention. Great work

Audrey

Car runs without key???

Post by Audrey » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:33 pm

96 honda accord

my car will run even with the ignition turned to off position and key removed. I had to replace a fuse twice already. Plus my back lights (brakes and running lights) , my dash light, and front daylight lights all suddenly stopped working. I've replaced bulbs (twice cause the first pair of new ones blew immediately) , i've checked the wires to the bulbs.... i don't know what else to do and if i want to get my tag my car has to pass an inspection. Please help!!!

karlk

Re: Car runs without key???

Post by karlk » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:47 pm

Sounds like you have an ignition switch problem.
The key goes into the key cylinder. The cylinder goes into the ignition switch which supplies power to the car systems. If turning the key off and the car still runs, the ignition switch is probably shorted internally / electrically.
This could also explain the lighting problem you are having.

Spencer

Re: Car runs without key???

Post by Spencer » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:11 am

karlk wrote:Sounds like you have an ignition switch problem.
The key goes into the key cylinder. The cylinder goes into the ignition switch which supplies power to the car systems. If turning the key off and the car still runs, the ignition switch is probably shorted internally / electrically.
This could also explain the lighting problem you are having.
Yeah, I think so.